General Responsiblities of the Board of Directors Members
- The Board of Directors has adopted the following roles and responsibilities to inform SHL board members of the basic expectations and guidelines used to manage the league and make decisions that affect the members.
- In no way should these roles and responsibilities that may include policies, be construed to supercede the Bylaws. Members may suggest additional policies, suggest changing policies or may suggest deleting policies. Members are encouraged to discuss such action with the Board of Directors.
- USA Hockey is the national sanctioning body for youth hockey. USA Hockey provides the rules by which local organizations form and compete. The Wisconsin Amateur hockey Association (WAHA) oversees registration, rules and competition within the state. SHL is associated with both organizations. Games are conducted according to the rules of USA Hockey.
- Fiscal Year runs June 1 to May 31; the hockey season runs October 1 to September 30.
- Background checks administered through WAHA recommended sites are required for all Board positions, coaches, and team managers by November 1st. Officers from the previous Board Year will conduct these background checks. Any record of ongoing financial litigation will preclude someone from filling the President, Treasurer, or Concessions role.
- Alcohol and tobacco is not allowed at the rink or in the building when minors are present. Violations will be addressed by the Officers of the Board of Directors.
- All Shawano Hockey League, Inc. Spiritwear purchases must be coordinated and arranged through the Marketing Chair on the Board. Violations will be addressed by the Officers of the Board of Directors.
- All Shawano Hockey League, Inc. fund-raisers must be coordinated and arranged through the Fundraising Chair on the Board and must be approved by the board. Violations will be addressed by the Officers of the Board of Directors.
- Board meetings are typically held the 2nd and 4th Monday of each month, please check the website for current dates, times, and locations. All members are welcome to attend, please contact a member of the Board of Directors to have a specific agenda item raised.
- All communication to league members must be approved by the Board of Directors.
- Approved coaches are reimbursed for WAHA required training.
- Coaches that do not have a child on their team are able to receive reimbursement for reasonable hotel expenses.
- Mileage is not a reimbursable expense.
- Meet as requested by President.
- Select a 3 person audit committee annually to review the finances with data provided by Treasurer.
- Select a minimum of 3 non-league members to participate on a committee to review Skatership applications.
- Select a total of 7 committee members and 2 Pee Wee or Bantam level players to serve on the Code of Conduct Committee.
- Coordinate and execute the WAHA Screening policy for all Coaches.